Bournemouth boss Howe hails away support for Southampton winby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveBournemouth boss Eddie Howe hailed the away support for last night’s win at Southampton.Goals from Nathan Ake, Harry Wilson and Callum Wilson helped earn the Dorset club an historic 3-1 success at St Mary’s, as Howe and his staff etched their names in club folklore. Howe told the Daily Echo: “I just want to thank the fans for everything they have given the club. Not just today but historically.“It was a really nice moment (after the final whistle) to share with them, you could feel the emotion from us to them and them to us.“That’s where you have to just think back to what times were and understand this was a precious moment. We very much enjoyed it and thank them.” Victory put Cherries up to third in the Premier League table, with 10 points recorded from their opening six games.Howe added: “It was a really nice moment for our supporters to enjoy and for us all to enjoy together.”When you consider how far this club has come in recent years and how bleak the outlook was at times.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
About the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your say Tomori hails Willian as leader for Chelsea youngstersby Ansser Sadiq2 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori has praised the leadership of senior players at the club.Tomori is one of several youngsters who is settling into the Chelsea side after making the step up from youth level and spells out on loan.He credits his manager Frank Lampard for aiding that transition.But he also believes senior players like Willian give confidence to all the young players.”For many of us, this is our first season in the Champions League and the whole team has been guiding us through games and training sessions,” Tomori said at a press conference.”It’s been a good start for us, integrating the younger players with the more experienced players, and I think that we’re just going to get stronger.”Someone like Willian, who has played at the highest level not only in club football but internationally as well, is a big help. “Having that sort of experience is vital for the team. He not only talks to us off the pitch but on the pitch he plays by example and shows what we need to do to get to the level he’s been at.”
Charlotte Morritt-JacobsAPTN National NewsIt’s all too common to see First Nation communities living in Third World conditions – especially when it comes to housing.Small communities in the Northwest Territories are no exception.“It’s getting worse every year,” said Wrigley resident Charlie Tale. “Because this springtime my family got sick. Annie has asthma, Savana has asthma and my little girl who is seven years old has asthma. They had to go to the health center to get oxygen every second day.”The community was relocated in 1965 by the federal government with a promise of new houses that never [email protected]
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates – Saudi authorities are still holding 95 people in a purported anti-corruption campaign that was launched nearly three months ago by the kingdom’s influential crown prince, Saudi press quoting the attorney general reported on Wednesday.A Saudi infographic shared on social media said that detainees who have not agreed on financial settlements to close their case will soon be referred to the Public Prosecution for trial.Billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal is reportedly among those still being held since early November when Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman ordered the stunning arrests of top princes, businessmen and officials. The prince is chairman of the publicly traded Kingdom Holding, which has investments in twitter, Apple, Citigroup, and the Four Seasons hotel chain. He is also an investor in ride-sharing services Lyft and Careem.If a financial agreement cannot be reached, the attorney general has previously said that detainees will be prosecuted, investigated further and could face six months or more imprisonment.At least 11 princes were among those detained in the surprise sweep that began Nov. 4. Many of the detainees have been held at the luxurious Ritz Carlton hotel in Riyadh, which has been closed to the public since. The hotel’s website is taking reservations again starting Feb. 14.While the Saudi public has for decades complained of rampant government corruption and misuse of public funds by top officials, the arrests of top business figures and princes, and the secrecy shrouding who was detained and what their alleged crimes were, have foreign investors worried.State-linked Sabq news website quoted Attorney General Saud al-Mojeb on Wednesday as saying 90 detainees in total have been released after agreeing to settlements involving cash, real estate and other assets. He says a total of 350 people were questioned in the sweep.Among those detained were two of the late King Abdullah’s sons, including Prince Miteb bin Abdullah who was fired from his post as head of the National Guard the night of his arrest. After paying an undisclosed sum, the prince was released and later photographed smiling with his younger cousin, the 32-year-old crown prince, at a horse race in late December. Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman was even filmed kissing Prince Miteb’s shoulder in a sign of respect.The crown prince heads the anti-corruption committee that was formed by his father, King Salman. The committee has carried out the orders of arrest, investigations and negotiations. The committee has previously said that investigators uncovered at least $100 billion in corruption.Also purportedly detained and released is Ibrahim al-Assaf, a former finance minister under King Salman. He is now leading Saudi Arabia’s delegation to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland this week as a minister of state and member of cabinet.
NEW YORK — Retailers aren’t just ushering the official start of the holiday season with the usual expanded hours and fat discounts on big TVs and toys.They’re offering new ways for shoppers to get deals online and in the store easier and faster in the age of instant gratification.Walmart introduced a digital map on its mobile app to make it easier for shoppers to find an item’s exact location in the store. Kohl’s has a new feature on its mobile app that lets customers take photos of products anywhere and find similar items at the department store. And customers, frustrated with long checkout lines, can check out at Walmart and other stores with a salesperson right on the spot.Shoppers are also facing new free shipping options. Target leapt in front of Walmart and Amazon to offer two-day free shipping for the holidays without any minimum purchases. Online leader Amazon followed, dropping its $25 minimum. Walmart is still sticking with its $35 threshold.“Retailers are pulling out all the stops to get shoppers earlier with online deals and using online to push shoppers in the store,” said Marshal Cohen, chief industry adviser at the NPD Group, a market research group. “I think overall spending will be decent.”Still, Black Friday isn’t what it used to be. It has morphed from a single day when people got up early to score door busters into a whole month of deals. Many major stores, including Walmart, Best Buy and Macy’s, start their blockbuster deals on Thanksgiving evening, which has consequently thinned out the crowds.Black Friday is nonetheless expected to be the biggest shopping day of the year, according to ShopperTrak, a technology company. And analysts say Black Friday sales should be even bigger than a year ago. They are expected to hit $23 billion on Friday, up from $21 billion during the same year-ago period, according to MasterCard SpendingPulse, which tracks all forms of payment, including cash.With the jobless rate at a five-decade low of 3.7 per cent and consumer confidence at an 18-year high, analysts project healthy sales increases for November and December. The National Retail Federation, the nation’s largest retail trade group, is expecting holiday retail sales in November and December — excluding automobiles, gasoline and restaurants — to increase as much as 4.8 per cent over 2017 for a total of $720.89 billion. The sales growth marks a slowdown from last year’s 5.3 per cent, which was the largest gain since 2010. But the figure is still healthy.Adobe Analytics, which analyzes visits to retail websites, predicts a 15 per cent increase in online sales to $124.1 billion for November and December.Amazon in the U.S. is expected to outgrow the market and capture up to half of all e-commerce sales by the end of the year, according to Consulting firm Bain & Co.Joseph Pisani And Anne D’Innocenzio, The Associated Press
VANCOUVER, B.C. – A British Columbia Supreme Court judge has granted Trans Mountain an interim injunction aimed at preventing anti-pipeline activists from protesting construction at two terminals in Burnaby.The company listed 15 individuals, along with John Doe, Jane Doe and “persons unnamed” in a notice of civil claim as part of its request to restrict protesters from coming within 50 metres of the facilities.Justice Kenneth Affleck agreed with that condition today and said the injunction will last until Wednesday, when a hearing on the matter will continue. Casey Leggett, a lawyer for one of the named people, had challenged the 50-metre request, saying that would cover a road near the Westridge Marine Terminal, where people should be allowed to walk or protest peacefully without fearing they’ll be arrested.Kyle Friesen, a lawyer representing the RCMP, said the force doesn’t want to squelch anyone’s right to protest, but a restricted area is needed to create a barrier so gatherings are peaceful, lawful and safe, especially if trees are falling to clear land for construction.Calgary-based Trans Mountain said in the notice of claim that protesters have obstructed roads it requires to access the Westridge Marine Terminal in order to build a new dock complex with three berths.
The road was reduced to one lane as fire crews worked on the scene.The fire was extinguished and no injuries were reported.For up-to-date information on wildfires and safety, you can visit the B.C. Wildfire Services website. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – B.C. Wildfire Services responded to a fire Tuesday, April 23, on Cecil Lake Road between 233 Road and 231 Road.Wildfire Services says they received a call at around 12:00 p.m. of a truck that had caught on fire.According to Wildfire Services, the fire from the truck had spread to the grass along the road, causing a grass fire.
Jaipur: Steve Smith would still be a bit rusty and Kings XI Punjab would try to exploit it to their advantage, says skipper Ravichandran Ashwin, who also reckons that it won’t be easy comeback journey for the Australian. The spotlight will be on Smith when Rajasthan Royals’ clash with Punjab on Monday. “We all know he is a quality player and must have worked and prepared hard during the break but comebacks are not easy. He must have put a lot of efforts for a comeback mentally. I am sure he would look to perform and on the other hand we would look to take advantage of his rustiness,” said Ashwin. Ashwin himself is struggling to make a comeback to the Indian side and is likely to miss the World Cup bus with Kuldeep Yadav, Yuzvendra Chahal and Ravindra Jadeja doing a nice job with the white ball. Asked if he feels, he is still in reckoning for a spot in India’s World Cup squad, he was a tad irritated. “I can’t answer the question. Selectors have to answer that. But as far I am concerned I have played two World Cups. If I deserve and I am selected I would love to play,” he said. When pointed out that he was deceptive a few years back but was sorted out and whether Chahal and Kuldeep could also meet the same fate, Ashwin said adaptation is key to remain strong. “Cricket now a days reveal all. There is lot of analysis and cameras can read out every movement of your fingers. “The secret is to adapt to conditions. Look at Virat Kohli, earlier he was very strong on leg side but he adapted and now he is as strong on off side too,” he said. Punjab coach Mike Hesson said big-hitting West Indian that Gayle is huge player for his team. “The way he batted in the last series against quality bowlers and took on the spinners shows that he still is a formidable force. He is an asset on the field and in the dressing room where he helps youngsters groom,” said Hesson.
Colombo: Sri Lanka’s minority Muslims attended Friday prayers as heavily armed troops and police guarded all mosques, including those badly vandalised in riots in the wake of the Easter terror attacks. Police said security would remain tight over the weekend for a major Buddhist festival as well as the 10th anniversary of the ending of the country’s decades-long Tamil separatist war. Clerics said some of the damaged mosques cleared out glass shards and other debris and conducted services with attendance at a high level. “We had about 450 to 500 people,” M. I. M. Siddeeque, the trustee of the riot-hit Kinyama mosque in the worst affected North-Western Province told AFP by telephone. “There were six soldiers outside the mosques and many more police at the top of the road.” Siddeeque said his mosque was cleared of the debris, but windows, furniture and the public address system were yet to be replaced. In the town of Minuwangoda, the faithful packed the first floor of the two-storeyed Hujjaj mosque to pray even though repairs were yet to begin. Local residents said Buddhists and Catholic priests were also present as a sign of solidarity with Muslims community. Police said there were no major incidents although sporadic clashes were reported from a handful of places. “Police are firmly in control and the situation is fast returning to normality,” a senior police official told AFP. A nationwide night curfew was lifted Thursday. The riots came three weeks after suicide bomb attacks on three churches and three luxury hotels in Colombo, killing 258 people. The April 21 attacks were blamed on a local jihadi group. This weekend Sri Lanka celebrates Vesak which marks the birth, enlightenment and the passing of the Buddha over 2,500 years ago on Saturday and Sunday. The most important Buddhist celebration coincides this year with the country marking a decade since ending a 37-year-separatist by annihilating the entire leadership of Tamil Tiger guerrillas. The head of the Tamil Tigers, Velupillai Prabhakaran was killed 10 years ago Saturday while the government declared an end to the war a day later. President Maithripala Sirisena and Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe are due to attend several ceremonies in and around Colombo on Sunday to pay tribute to over 28,000 security personnel who died during the nearly four-decade-long war. The minority Tamil community too is expected on Saturday to pay tribute to their war dead, including Tiger rebels at low-key ceremonies in the northeastern district of Mullaittivu where the final battles were fought. Army chief Mahesh Senanayake said security forces will not obstruct any war remembrance by the Tamils. Under the previous regime, any war remembrance by Tamils was outlawed.
NEW DELHI: With most exit polls predicting a clean sweep by BJP in the national capital, the AAP on Monday alleged that opponents planned to manipulate EVMs ahead of counting of votes on May 23 and asked the Election Commission to provide additional security at a counting centre in South Delhi. “I have strong reasons to believe that the political adversaries will attempt to open the strong rooms and manipulate or replace the machines as a handful of such incidents have been seen in the past,” AAP leader Raghav Chadha said in a letter to Chief Election Commissioner Sunil Arora. Also Read – More good air days in Delhi due to Centre’s steps: JavadekarChadha, who is AAP’s South Delhi candidate, said such incidents have taken place in the past as well. “Alarming as it may be, this would not be the first time that an attack on the electoral system may take place,” he said. Chadha also sought the appointment of another independent observer by the poll watchdog and a bar on unnecessary movement in and around the premises. “We request that the CRPF security at Jijabai Institute where South Delhi’s EVMs are housed be tightened. It is further requested that additional CRPF personnel may be deployed to keep watch over the strong rooms around the clocks,” he said. In the letter AAP urged to provide additional security at a counting centre in South Delhi, alleging that political opponents plan to manipulate EVMs ahead of the announcement of poll results on May 23. Also Read – Union min Hardeep Singh Puri, Delhi L-G lay foundation stones for various projects in DwarkaThe letter comes days after an AAP delegation met EC officials as well as the Delhi Chief Electoral Officer alleging that polling diaries of the South Delhi constituency were manipulated. AAP spokesperson Saurabh Bharadwaj had alleged that around 200-250 presiding officers were called to the EC office over the last two days and asked to “change sensitive information in the polling diaries”. The Delhi Chief Electoral Officer’s Office (CEO) has said it would inquire into the allegations.